Description[edit | edit source]
A device for detecting foreign objects in the ground. Used to find item caches, which contain bonus treasures.
Version Difference[edit | edit source]
Version 0.99a [edit | edit source]
The item was present in the game resources, but was not used in the gameplay.
Version 0.99b [edit | edit source]
The item was in a special meeting "Minefield". In this version, it was rather trivial and almost useless. For example, the metal detector did not find mines in the ground, did not participate in quests, the number of special finds was limited to only a few, although there were many caches with small ordinary items such as knives and money coins.
Version 0.99c and 1.00 [edit | edit source]
The content of the metal detector in these versions is significantly rewritten: caches with unique objects appeared, mini-quests, an upgrade to the zoning distance, the possibility of finding mines, etc. In addition, finding an item now takes place in the process of completing the quest of the Gates family in New Reno on the instructions "find the missing slum prospectors". Also the treasure hunter perk was taken into account.
Use[edit | edit source]
- Place the item in the active hand.
- Click on the item in hand. A message should appear in the console window. If the metal detector cannot detect anything, then your character is located far from the cache or there are no caches at all on the map. It is necessary to switch to another part of the map (the range of the metal detector is indicated in its description).
- If the cache falls into the search field, a message will appear in the console window indicating the number of hexes to the cache.
- If the console says "beeps like crazy" - then the hero is above the cache, but he lacks the Outdoorsman skill to detect it. Since there is not a strict test of skills, but a “die roll”, you can try again.
Caches[edit | edit source]
Caches with various items are found in almost all locations of cities and bases. In order to detect them effectively, you should scour the location taking into account the scanning radius, often pressing use on the metal detector in the active hand. Most caches are located on the street (near the rubbish heaps, in the doorways, in the ruins) and almost never occur inside buildings. There may be five or more caches at each of the locations or none at all. Visually, the caches are presented in four versions: a small yellow box, a small brown pot, a brown satchel and a white skeleton. In most cases they contain ammunition or money, less often weapons or chemicals.
Most Known Caches[edit | edit source]
In all versions: [edit | edit source]
- New - Reno, evacuation bunker: next to the computer, you can find an access card from the door next door. There are no other possibilities to open this door, except for this card. To find the map, a naturalist skill of> 90 is required. In the locked room there is a plasma pistol.
In version 0.99b: [edit | edit source]
- Vegas: under the Welcome sign> 1000 bucks (the exact amount is determined by the parameter Good luck).
In version 1.00: [edit | edit source]
- New Reno: a hidden manhole to the sewer on the road near the Silver Hotel. Can also be detected using a walkie-talkie.
- New Reno: a machete at a train station.
- New Reno: unique 10 mm pistol # 80.
- New Reno: Unique Shock Knuckle on the Eldorado Card.
- New Reno: quest item "Old Pendant" in the square above the Stryker Building.
- New Reno: a key card in an evacuation bunker.
- Hawthorne: sawn-off shotgun under the sign of the speed limit at the railway station.
- Winds of War: polymer plates.
- Vegas: under the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign a unique "Gold poker chip".
- Vegas: a unique knife "Gonzo style" in Clean City.
- Vegas: Beatnik's glasses outside the Hard Rock Café
- Vegas: under the advertising sign of Hard Rock Café is a unique Stranglehold.
- Salt Lake City: at the entrance for a rusty car - biker chain
- Salt Lake City: in the rubbish of one of the slum houses broken Pip-Boy.
- Salt Lake City: hidden in the land of Laz in the family shelter on the map with the sheriff's office.
- Provo: under the motel signboard, a unique plasma handgun.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
- In combat, it will not work, but two MPs are used when pressed.
- For older versions:
- The metal detector did not find landmines (fixed in version 0.99c).
- On the Plantation map in Lovelock, finding a cache near the fallen rocket caused a game crash (fixed in version 0.99c).
- There was a logical blip in which the seeker found chems, although they weren't metallic.
Tip[edit | edit source]
- The metal detector is recommended to get early (for a more complete exploration of the game), as there are locations at the beginning of the game that you only get once during the assignments.
- Or do not perform those tasks that lead to the transition to the location only once, when performing the task.